PDA

View Full Version : Which SCAR brand and variation?

Carlos
8th February 2012, 09:00 PM
Title says it all really but i'm going to elaborate and add some depth to the topic.

So I have to admit that i'm fairly new to the sport, but I feel that i'd rather spend a fair amount on a quality RIF than a small amount on something that I'll want to replace quickly, and is of poor quality.

I've always loved the SCAR (in both the light and heavy variations), and so I've been pretty much set on getting one when I get my UKARA.

Two questions I need answering are:

1) Which brand makes the best SCAR-H/L and why?
2) Which variation should I get? The Light or Heavy?

I know that the mags for the SCAR-H are wider and in all honesty I'm not sure if they would fit in my MOLLE pouches(I have these: http://www.uktactical.com/acatalog/copy_of_Elite_Ops_5.56mm_M4_Mag_Pouch.html)

I've researched different brands and the differences between the light and heavy and on the whole, the internals and externals tend to be pretty similar. But anyway, I want your opinions and knowledge!

Cheers!
Carlos

Tony
8th February 2012, 09:28 PM
Hi again Carlos :p

Vicotr1 (Karl) and I own a tan Scar Light.
Faste72 (Leigh) owns a black Classic Army Scar Light.

The pouches you have the link to refer to the 5.56 Scar Light magazine clips.

My Scar is made by ARES - Im lead to believe that its one of the best looking Tanned versions of the Scar but not necessarily the best performer....

Leigh has the Classic Army version and that shoots like a dream!

Take a look on the 26th - you can also have a test fire :)

Carlos
8th February 2012, 09:40 PM
Aye sounds good to me!:)

I've been looking at the VFC SCAR-L and i've found that it seems to have decent externals as well as internals but obviously, that's purely from other people's opinions online so not necessarily reliable!

The battery in the VFC SCARs have no wires between the foldable stock and the rest of the RIF, unlike the Tokyo Marui SCARs which have a wire from the stock to the body? I forget :rolleyes:.

I've been struggling to find retailers that sell 'em on my many hours (sad right?!) researching which brand/retailer to buy from etc, but JDairsoft.net told me they have the heavy in stock in the retail shop prices at 399.99 with a carry case etc. But if the heavy's mags don't fit in my pouches there's probably no point eh?

My price range would probably be 400 tops, which pretty much rules out Tokyo Marui ones as I think they go to about 500 quid which I'm not willing to spend...yet anyway ;)

Tony
8th February 2012, 10:23 PM
My Favorite RIF is the VFC PDW - a fantastic lightweight, accurate and well made piece of kit!

So, if VFC make the Scar to the same standard as the PDW - then Im sure it would be a good choice.

My ARES Scar Light also had no wire through the stock - but it caught fire TWICE so I decided to have a wire instead and its fine now :rolleyes:

Ill put the word out, see whats out there for you :)

KarlosX
9th February 2012, 02:01 PM
Scar light or heavy? I eventually went with the light, at least you can use the mags in other m4 variants unlike the mags for the heavy. Nice guns, although can get a tad weighty especially with the grenade launcher attached :)

Benott18
9th February 2012, 08:23 PM
do you have your own personal armoury viktor?? you seem to own every gun lol!

KarlosX
10th February 2012, 05:27 PM
I have a few :D
but not as many as Tony. Need to thin the collection out a little.

Topcat
10th February 2012, 06:07 PM
so when you putting your list up so me an Benott18 can start buying :D

Benott18
10th February 2012, 10:08 PM
Yeh it will be like a bidding war!!

Carlos
10th February 2012, 10:22 PM
Scar light or heavy? I eventually went with the light, at least you can use the mags in other m4 variants unlike the mags for the heavy. Nice guns, although can get a tad weighty especially with the grenade launcher attached :)

Chances are i'll end up going for the Light, in Tan. As you say the fact that you can use the mags in m4 variants could prove to be handy. What brand is yours? I'm still leaning toward the VFC, only difficulty will be finding a retailer to buy from (seem to find Tokyo Marui's in stock in a lot of places but not VFCs), but i'm sure that shouldn't be a problem.

Topcat
11th February 2012, 04:36 PM
Na i'll just buy em 'ALL' an smile lots...:p

Benott18
11th February 2012, 06:17 PM
then i will have to buy them off you :D

KarlosX
11th February 2012, 11:53 PM
Chances are i'll end up going for the Light, in Tan. As you say the fact that you can use the mags in m4 variants could prove to be handy. What brand is yours? I'm still leaning toward the VFC, only difficulty will be finding a retailer to buy from (seem to find Tokyo Marui's in stock in a lot of places but not VFCs), but i'm sure that shouldn't be a problem.

Mine is a VFC in tan. If your lucky you may find one that comes in the original hard case :D

KarlosX
11th February 2012, 11:55 PM
so when you putting your list up so me an Benott18 can start buying :D

I will let you both know in due coarse what guns I may part with.

Topcat
12th February 2012, 09:42 AM
'may' part with... :( ...lol

Topcat
12th February 2012, 09:48 AM
What make is your PDW ...I've found tactical swivels :- For use with sockets on Lower Receiver of VFC KAC PDW
- Also suitable for 10mm QD Swivel Sockets....approx 14 inc P&P ...delivery between 2-4 weeks...... will still look around..:P

KarlosX
12th February 2012, 11:32 AM
My PDW is a VFC. If you order a swivel get another one for Sam's PDW and I will square you up. I will have a look around and let you know if I can also find one.

Carlos
12th February 2012, 11:37 AM
Mine is a VFC in tan. If your lucky you may find one that comes in the original hard case :D

That was exactly my plan :p Haven't succeeded yet mind you...lol. Where abouts did you get yours? Have you got the cased version? I've only been able to find one retailer with the VFC scar and case but it's the heavy version -.- I'll keep searching away ;)

Topcat
12th February 2012, 11:54 AM
ok ...I'll give it a couple of days but will shout you before I order ...;)

Faste72
12th February 2012, 01:11 PM
Carlos I love my Classic Army SCAR-L. The battery is a bit of a pain to get in and out, but other than that it's great. Mine has had a few upgrades, but the reviews for the stock version are really good

Benott18
12th February 2012, 01:12 PM
If any of you guys see a VFC PDW up for sale please let me know if you can I really want one!!!

Benott18
12th February 2012, 01:18 PM
http://http://www.actionhobbies.co.uk/VFC-Knight-PDW-Deluxe-Version-Metal-Body_AQODJ.aspx (http://www.actionhobbies.co.uk/VFC-Knight-PDW-Deluxe-Version-Metal-Body_AQODJ.aspx) guys what do you think about this was just looking at it seems quite nice may purchase it at some point. What do you think??

KarlosX
12th February 2012, 01:48 PM
If you are going for a PDW the deluxe version would be the one to go for. I am supprised that they have in one in stock as these are no longer made. Check it is not pre owned as I know that Action Hobbies did have a pre owned PDW for sale some time back.

Carlos
12th February 2012, 02:17 PM
Carlos I love my Classic Army SCAR-L. The battery is a bit of a pain to get in and out, but other than that it's great. Mine has had a few upgrades, but the reviews for the stock version are really good

Hey Leigh,
where did you get your CA SCAR from? I can only find places that import which I'd rather not do...what with taxes and shipping times etc. Struggling to find somewhere that actually stocks them, and those who do don't have any stock? ugh, pain.

Tony
12th February 2012, 02:33 PM
I got that Scar for Leigh via Arisoft Armoury last year... It was the only one they had at the time. Leave it with me Carlos, I'll see if I can source one for you are a great price! (of course:p)

dom of doom101
12th February 2012, 02:33 PM
vfc mate :) there the best at the scar i have a ares one and its nice but i have had a lot go wrong with it

Carlos
12th February 2012, 02:47 PM
Haha okay Tony (: much appreciated!

When I initially had an interest in the SCAR i was looking at ARES but then got onto the perks of VFC so :P What have you actually had happen to your ARES? PS, what colour is yours?;)

Benott18
12th February 2012, 03:19 PM
If you are going for a PDW the deluxe version would be the one to go for. I am supprised that they have in one in stock as these are no longer made. Check it is not pre owned as I know that Action Hobbies did have a pre owned PDW for sale some time back.

Ok thanks mate I will look into I was quite suprised to see one in stock aswel cause of the same reasons just means I will have to buy it quickly lol!!!

Tony
12th February 2012, 03:28 PM
I have the Tan L version. The very first time I went to use it, it started to smoke from the rear stock while using a Lipo Battery ! I quickly removed the Lipo and thought that it was the battery that was faulty.

Second time it was used it actually caught fire!! I have a 9.6v mini battery in it this time !

Since then I have had it re-wired and so for, no flames or smoke!

Scary....... :mad:

dom of doom101
12th February 2012, 08:59 PM
my scar is black and a long list off things like the bold was snaped the stock catch was snaped and the hop nub was riped this is from out of box but i have fixed ost of this and i now love the gun :)